Thursday, July 28, 2016

Autocross

Autocross.
What is it? Well, it's a form of racing. It's usually set up on airport runways, usually at airports that are no longer actual airports, old military bases, whatever area with a large amount of pavement where a coned course can be laid out for cars to run on.
The one I've gone to several times now is an out-of-service military base in Ayer, MA, and it has autocross events almost every weekend, coordinated by several different car clubs.
My fiancee and I have done the last 3 events together, me running my '13 Mustang GT, and her running her '08 Mustang GT500.
This Saturday (2 days from now) we have our next event scheduled, and unlike most of our prior events, it's looking like it might actually not rain!
We're both looking forward to it, it's a great way to learn your car, what it can do, and what you can do with it before getting into trouble.
In the event of a spin-out, there are no walls or other obstacles to hit, you just spin, get off course immediately if you can or get back under way immediately if you can, whichever option prevents less risk to the course workers around or the next car coming up behind you.
Here's a video of me in my Mustang running the course. The video is from 2014, and the occasional whine you can hear is the supercharger screaming as I'm laying into the throttle.


Another video, this was taken by somebody on the course, my first autocross event, in the rain:


And last but certainly not least, my fiancee launching her Shelby at one of the events:


No comments:

Post a Comment