Sunday, July 24, 2016

My first car

My first car.
It was a 1984 Ford LTD, one of the smaller midsize LTD's not the full-size cop-car LTD.
Eight years old when I got it, it had a 3.8L V6 and rear-wheel-drive, and on the test-drive it had 45,412 miles on it.
Yes, I still remember the exact mileage on it, even though that was about 25 years ago.
As a young new driver with a 400-lb right foot, I beat the living hell out of that car for the next 3 years, while at the same time improving things on it, doing some of my own repairs, putting bigger tires on the rear wheels, and changing out the radio and speakers.
At one point the car had a stereo in it that included a CD player (in 1992 CD players were high tech, lol), 3 amplifiers, 2 12" subwoofers, and other upgraded speakers, a system that could deliver peaks of almost 2,000 watts.
It was a sound system on wheels, it was a car with 3 different shades of gray on its body panels, it was the car that got me to love Ford cars and rear-wheel drive.
I owned it for 3 years and put almost 40,000 miles on it, trading it in with about 83,000 miles on it.
Some pictures of it:

There's a good chance I may have caused some of those marks in the sand:

 Hood up, this was checking the fluids on the way up to NH for a 2-day trip with a friend:

And yes, being a young kid I thought that bumper sticker would be funny:

The local Police didn't.

2 comments:

  1. That is the same car I drove when I got my license. I didn't drive it as much as you, but I did get out of serious trouble with it. Hitting a telephone pole caused a slight dent in the bumper, on a car today it would have caused $10,000 worth of damage in having the plastic bumpers to be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah I drove that car hard for the 3 years I owned it. It took all the abuse and asked for more. I got into a slight accident with it when I was bombing down the road one day and a Honda decided to cut me off. I hit the rear bumper of the Honda just slightly, my braking reflex saving my butt. No damage to my car, a good size scrape on their bumper, but since they knew they were at fault for cutting off, they said they were OK and we all went our separate ways.
      I occasionally still see one of these on the road, and it's like traveling back in time every time, lol.

      Delete